Pack Meeting: Picnic & Rocket Launch
Come for the end of year Pack meeting, celebration, and picnic at the Elks lodge!
Activities begin at Noon, with lunch and pack meeting to follow.
Friends and others interested in the pack are welcome, please extend the invite to those you know!
Like last year, build and bring a soda bottle rocket to launch (guests, too). There will be some supplies for rocket repair at the picnic.
Building your rocket:
– Start with a 2 or 3 liter bottle that holds a carbonated beverage; those are stronger to handle the pressure.
– Soda bottles must have a standard (7/8″) mouth, not a wide mouth. Don’t worry if it’s a little small, we have a drill to make it big enough
– Keep the bottle part intact. There are some interesting designs of multiple bottles joined, but they don’t handle the pressure.
– Tape a tennis ball at the opposite side of the mouth, and add a cone and fins.
– The rocket will get wet, so choose fin and cone material taking this into account (playing cards is a common choice for fins).
– The best flying designs typically use the fins to spin – some do a little, some do a lot.
– Be creative! It’s all for fun, and you are welcome to try multiple rocket designs.